Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bens' Ten...

A couple of Fridays ago, I was issued an challenge from Lisa at work, to compile a list of my top ten albums for her to listen to (she actually said "Top five..." but there was no way I could do that! Anyway, I had a week to agonise over my choices, but here they are (in alphabetical order by artist - I can't put them in order as well!!).


Death Cab For Cutie
Translanticism
Year: 2003
This album took a while to grow on me, but I'm glad it did! A great musical, and vocal performance from Mr. Gibbard and co. It also seems to flow really well which is always important.


Highlights: Translanticism, Title and Registration, We Look Like Giants.

Incubus
Make Yourself
Year: 1999
My first perfect summer album. I can listen to this in the middle of winter, and still feel like I'm walking around in shorts and t-shirt with the sun on my face. Incubus seem to be a pretty consitant band which is good - even the new album 'Light Grenades', which I was initially disappointed with has grown on me loads within a couple of listens.
Highlights: Stellar, Make Yours, Pardon Me.
Jurassic 5
Power in Numbers
Year: 2002
If someone told me when I was 17 or 18 that by the time I reached the grand old age of 23 that I'd have a Hip-Hop album in my top ten, I'd probably have laughed them out the room. But, it's true! I reallt love this album.
Highlights: A Day At The Races, What's Golden, Freedom



Manic Street Preachers
Everything Must Go
Year: 1996
They had to crop up at some point... This was a really tough decision, but in the end of the day, it was Everything Must Go that first made me notice the Manic, so I guess it has to take the top spot.
Highlights: A Design For Life, Enola/Alone, No Surface All Feeling.

Oasis
(What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Year: 1995
Possibly not considered their best, but certainly my favourite. I remember getting this for Christmas in 1995, and listened it to death (I had it on cassette, and I actually wore it out!!) If it wasn't for Oasis, who knows where my musical interests would lie?!
Highlights: Some Might Say, Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova.

Rilo Kiley
More Adventurous
Year: 2004
A relatively new album to me, but a great one! Jenny Lewis's voice (especially on this album) could melt anyone's heart. The beautiful melancoly lyric writing is marvelous as well. Reminds me of being in upstate New York.
Highlights: Portions for Foxes, More Adventurous, A Man/Me/Then Jim

The Postal Service
Give Up
Year: 2003
Linking Ben Gibbard (DCfC) and Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley) together, other than them both having albums in my top ten, are The Postal Service. My first real outting into the Electronica/Pop genre, but an absolute gem! I swear this album gets better every time you listen to it.
Highlights: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Such Great Heights, Sleeping In

The Smashing Pumpkins
Siamese Dream
Year: 1993
I kind of missed the SP boat the first time round, but since going to Uni, I developed a belated love for them - Siamese Dream especially. I think it has a lot to do with the happy memories attached to it.
Highlights: Disarm, Mayonaise, Today.

The Tragically Hip
Fully Completely
Year: 1993
This was another hugely tough choice. I can't get enough of the Hip at the moment, and they have such a huge collection of really strong material that it made it very hard to choose! I think in the end, I settled for FC as it has (but only just) the most consistant collection of great songs from start to finish.
Highlights: Courage, Pigeon Camera, At The Hundredth Meridian.

Tool
Lateralus
Year: 2001
Last but not least, some 'Prog-metal' (or whatever the hell you want to call it!) Again, I got into Tool a little later than a lot of people, again, it was being at Uni that really turned me on to them. All of their albums are so well crafted and full, but I think for me Lateralus just has the edge with the stronger songs. It was close though!
Highlights: The Grudge, Parabola, Lateralus
Well, I'm certainly no music critic/reviewer, but I hope you enjoyed my list! It really was an agonising choice. I know that certain people that may be reading this will be wondering why I've left many albums that I claim to love out - Trust me, all the albums and bands I rave about, I do genuinely love, but it's not easy trying to condense it down to just ten.
I think I'm going to tag some others to do their lists as well...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger -chris said...

Great list Ben!

It's amazing how different our lists would be except for Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins and The Hip.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home