Friday, June 08, 2007

Soundtrack...

I'm finally getting round to compiling my CD for the FD exchange. Why oh why am I so rubbish at doing these?! I always get really excited aboout it, but then it ends up being a real chore as the deadline looms. Ah well, I guess I'll never learn. I have, however, produced a nice cover that I'm pleased with - especially as it's the first bit of illustration work I've done for seemingly ages. You may have noticed that there is a distinct lack of tracklist - this mainly because I (still) haven't decided exactly what to put on there. I told you I was rubbish.

Anyway, what see yea, the blog loving public at large?...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger -chris said...

I opened all of my RSS updates and as I was flicking through them your cover caught my eye... and I thought "Gee, that really looks like something Ben would create..." and then I realized it was on YOUR page.

Any who... it looks great! I'm keen to know more about your technique for creating these almost hyper real ilustrations.

ANd, what is the "FD exchange"?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Chris,

I'm glad to hear that I stand out in your RSS feeds! It's good to hear you like the cover.

My process varies quite a bit depending on what the image requires. Sometimes the focal point will be hand drawn, with just a small amount of colour and texture added digitally, and sometimes it'll be more Photoshop heavy. There tends to be certain elements that always get added in the same way like the circles etc, which is sort of signature that I try and incorporate.

For this CD cover specifically, I took a load of photos of iPods, pencils, pencil sharpeners etc, and then adjusted the blend modes, colours and image styles until I achieved the look that I had in my head. I tend to get a rough idea in my minds' eye, and then I just try and recreate it with Photoshop. I very, very rarely get it to look exactly how I imagined it, but as I my Photoshop skills improve, I can get them closer and closer. I try and keep it fairly organic and let certain things lead me in a certain direction. If you want to know anymore details, give me a shout and I'll send you an e-mail.

As for your other question: FD stands for Forever Delayed which is the Manics website/forum that I co-run. From time to time we arrange CD exchanges with other members. It's good fun, but I always leave it until the last minute!

Thanks again for stopping by
-Ben

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home