Thursday, April 26, 2007

Late breaking story at the SCC...

I've been asked by the powers that be within the SCC (Sandstone Climbing Club) to design a logo/header/t-shirt design for the club. This was an opportunity, that naturally, I jumped at! The "brief" (i.e. Ashby trying to string a vaguely professional sentence together without passing out from exhaustion - He's editor of the Sandpaper, the SCC magazine as well now. Piers Morgan eat your heart out!) was that they wanted a yellow and black colour scheme. The idea is that the logo design could also be printed onto club t-shirts and form the basis of the layout for Sandpaper. I saw this as a great opportunity to try out some of my new found Adobe Illustrator skills...



I decided that I wanted the design to be landscape(ish) in its orientation, so I initially began with a picture of a climber on an overhang route. This seemed (to me) to work ok, but some feedback from the illustrators forum suggested that he looks like he's falling. So, after finding another suitable image (i.e. a clean, clear outline) I tried the second design which I think possibly works better.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger -chris said...

I agree with the forum on the first one.

I like the second one, but think that it needs some definition in the leg area - looks like the climber has one giant leg - instead of two....

Have you mocked it up onto a T-Shirt, Hat, masthead, etc yet?

4:34 PM  
Blogger -chris said...

And is he climbing a map of British Columbia?
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/travel/dg/maps/08/750x750_britishcolumbia_m.gif

4:36 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. It hadn't really occured to me about the legs. I think because I know the source image, I new what was happening. That just shows the importance of having your work seen by fresh eyes. I haven't mocked it up on anything yet, but that's the next step!

Also, I see what you mean about it looking BC. I'll have to remember that incase I ever get a commission from a Canadian Climbing Club. ;)

-Ben

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home